Aluminium Cable Vs Copper cable
What is meant by cable:
In a Power system, A connecting rob/link from source feeder to destination feeder/ load center is called cable. Two types of cables are used mostly in industry, one is aluminium cable and another one is copper cable.
Get More Electrical Concept And Interview Questions By Using This Link
Advantage of Aluminium cables over copper cables:
- Low cost
Pure aluminium is cost around 500 INR (9$) per KG but pure copper rate is 1000 INR per KG. Example:
|Size||Cost per meter||Current carrying||Cost per meter||Current carrying||Make|
|3C X 2.5 sqmm||12||14||32||22||RPG|
|3C X 10 sqmm||28||36||96||50||RPG|
Instead of purchasing 2.5 sqmm copper cable you can purchase 10 sqmm aluminium cable
- Flexibility for cable connection:
You can connect it easily at the power terminal. It does not require as much strength to bend the cable.
- Less cable termination cost:
Aluminium lugs are cheaper than copper lugs and Easy to crimp. Before crimping any cable (more than 50 sqmm) use crimping paste, which gives good contact between the cable and lug. Using of hydraulic crimping tools gives better result than hand crimping tools.
Also see: How to Crimp a cable in proper way
Here you can find the rate difference. Actually this is MRP only, you can negotiate with them.
- Less weight:
Aluminium has less weight as compare with copper. It does not require as much man power to lay a cable. Always it does not require double compression cable gland.
- Easy available
Due to its easy availability, manufacture will complete you order very faster.
- Extended life
Corrosion and moisture free
Disadvantage of aluminium cable:
- High power loss
- Occupy more space: Due to low current capacity we need to increase the quantity. (lay additional cables)
Advantage of copper cable:
- Less power loss (low resistivity)
- High current carrying capacity (high conductivity)
- Occupy less space
Disadvantage of copper cable:
- High cost
- High cost for cable termination
As said in table 2. Copper lugs cost are high. It requires double compression type cable gland to terminate to hold its weight at the terminal plate.
- Cable lugs needs additional tin coating to avoid moisture effect.
- More man power is required.
Current Carrying Capacity of Aluminium and Copper Cable:
How to avoid cable failure:
- Cables should not load more than 50 % of its full load capacity.
- Avoid underground cable laying, go for overhead cable laying.
- If underground is the only one option means, make proper cable trench/channel.
- Avoid water in the cable trenches. 90% of the cables would be failure due to this problem.Pore it periodically.
- For long distance if length is more than 50 meter then better you go for armored type cable.
- Do not allow to pass heavy vehicles on the cable which damage the cable insulation, make proper shielding while crossing the road/street. Here you can find how to repair cable insulation failure
- Use XLPE cable for overhead high surrounding temperature (eg. Near furnace, super heater coils outlet header, feed pump, hp heater etc.)
- Purchase better quality. (RPG > Finolex > Polycab > Paragon)
- Use HT nut and bolt (use 8.8 T +)
How to select cable:
- For feeder work (indoor) select flexible copper multi stand cable.
- For outdoor work select armored copper/aluminium stand cable
How to select cable lug:
- For screw type connection use pin type lugs
- For nut bolt type connection use ring type lugs
- Use better quality
- Choose high connecting surface area. (Dowel > Johnson)
- Use high thickness lugs (Johnson > dowel)
While purchasing cables please look at these points..
- MCCB Working Principle MCCB Rating and MCCB Current Setting
- CT Operated Thermal Over Load Relay, and How to Calculate the Current setting.
- 50 Numbers of electrical Why questions with super answer
- Voltage conversion
- Frequency conversion
- Math calculators
- Wire calculators
- Electrical calculators
- What is Bus bar, how to calculate current carrying capacity
- Electrical protection Relays