What are the Different Electrical Licenses We Can Apply for in the State of Punjab?
The Punjab Energy Department takes care of all the electrical matters in the state. It is divided into The Punjab State Power Corporation Ltd.
( POWERCOM) and The Punjab State Transmission Corporation Ltd.(TRANSCO).
POWERCOM takes care of all the power related woks like installing power plants, giving new electrical connections for household and industrial.
Transco takes care of the transmission network around the state and gives training when required to the electrical workers.
The licenses will be issued and the exams will be taken by the Department of Electrical Inspector. Let us see the eligibility to get the different licenses.
Eligibility for Supervisors
- The candidate who wishes to get an electrical supervisor’s license should be a 10th class pass and be able to give an examination.
- The minimum cut off age is 20 years old to give an examination.
- A person with a 4 year engineering degree or a 3 year diploma degree in electrical engineering will be exempted from giving the exam. Additionally, they must have at least a year of actual work experience in the trade of electrician after the course is completed.
- A person who already has a competency certificate granted by another state is also exempted from the exam.
- The exam is oral and practical with 100 marks, where they will test your practical knowledge.
- Pass mark of 20 is needed in oral and a 40 is needed in practical.
- The subjects will be Paper I – Electrical Theory (compulsory), Paper II- Electrical Utilisations, and Paper III – Electrical Mines ( only for mining).
- The license should be renewed every three years or five years.
- For giving the exam is Rs 160/- and issuing the license after the results is Rs 40/-
- For licences without the exam is Rs 80/-
- Renewal fee is annual -Rs 40/-, three years – Rs 100/- and five years is Rs 150/-
- For duplicate copy issuance is Rs 50/-
- You can apply for a duplicate copy by paying the prescribed fees.
Eligibility for a Contractor
- There will be two types of the licenses – Class A and Class B.
- Both the licenses are granted to either a firm, a company, or a person( can be a supervisor with a competency certificate)who has all the mandatory testing instruments to do the electrical projects.
- Should employ at least one supervisor under whom all the work undertaken is done properly.
- The license is not granted if you are a supervisor and already working under a contractor.
- The license should be renewed every three years before the expiry date. ( compulsory 14 days before). The testing instruments should be given for verification 30 days before expiry.
- You are free to apply for a duplicate copy as well.
- For Class A, the initial is Rs 800/- ,annual renewal is Rs 200/- and for three years is Rs 500/-
- For Class B, the initial is Rs 200/-, annual renewal is Rs 20/- and three years is Rs 200/-
- For duplicate copy, Class A is Rs 80/- and Class B is Rs 40/-.
Qualifications for a Wireman
- There are two types of permits – A Class and B Class permits.
- Need to give an examination. The candidates eligible are – Those who have worked on wiring and electrical installation work under an electrical contractor – two years for A Class and one year for B Class.
- The board considers the person to have sufficient other electrical training and work experience for this purpose.
- Exemption from examination – Those who have completed a supervisor competency exam and those who have successfully completed an exam offered by an institute approved by the board.
- The minimum cut off age is 18 years old to give an examination.
- The exam is oral (50 marks) and practical (100 marks), where they will test your practical knowledge.
- The pass marks are 50 in practical and 25 in oral. A total of 75 points is needed.
- A Class – General,Elementary Knowledge of Electricity and Indian Electricity Rules, Wiring, Joints, and Measuring and Testing.
- B Class – Elementary Knowledge of Electricity and Indian Electricity Rules, Wiring and General.
- For exam is Rs 100/-
- For exemption from exam is Rs 40/-
- Renewal fees for A class initial is Rs 20/- ,three years is Rs 30/- and five years is Rs 70/-. For B Class initial is 20/- , three years is Rs 30/- and five years is Rs50/-
Payment of Fees
- The payment must be sent to the Government Treasury of the Chandigarh Administration and credited to the “ 0043- Taxes and Duties in Electricity-800 Other Receipts” account head.
- The Secretary,Licensing Board-Cum-Electrical Inspector, and the Chandigarh Administration must get the Treasury receipt.
- The candidate must have an Indian residence, mostly in Punjab.
- Self – declaration signed by the applicant.
- Experience Certificate
- Treasury challan receipt
- Age proof document ( Aadhar Card)
- Residence proof (domicile certificate / ration card or passbook by a bank)
- You can get the application form from Punjab State Power Corporation Limited.
- Fill in the details as in the application form.
- Submit the application to the Secretary Licensing Board along with all required paperwork, including the Treasury Challan receipt.
- The application will then be checked, and if approved, the admit card (for supervisors and wiremen) and license (for contractors) will be issued. The application will then be checked, and if approved, the admit card (for supervisors and wiremen) and license (for contractors) will be issued.
- The application process is same for applying for a duplicate copy. You also need to submit a affidavit stating the reasons.
Address for Correspondence
The Chief Electrical Inspector
Near Government Girls Senior Secondary School,
New Power House Colony,