How to Obtain a License as an Electrical Wireman in Odisha?
The Odisha State Electricity Regulatory Commission(OERC) is responsible for all the power works like generation, distribution and acquiring throughout the state. The entire state is divided into four subsidiaries to keep all the work organized. The website is :www.orierc.org
- You can apply for one of three different types of wireman work permits in the State of Odisha. You need to give an exam to get into any one of the mentioned categories.
- Wireman MV with Learner Permit of Lineman MV: The person can work below the voltage level of 650V for both domestic and industrial installations underground.
- Lineman MV with a learner permit of Workman HT:The person can work on overhead and underground installations for a voltage level of 650V with a learner permit.
- Workman-HT with Learner Permit for Workman-EHT: The person can work on installations that are overhead or underground for a voltage level of 33KV
- Electrical Workman EHT : The person can work on all voltage levels for all overhead and underground installations.
- The exam will be a oral viva voice and to pass the exam one should get 20 marks out of 50 marks to obtain the permit.
- Exemption from Examination
Eligibility and Educational Qualifications
- For Wireman MV Permit
- The person should be an 8th class pass with at least two years of experience in electrical work. His experience certificate must be signed by either the supervisor or contractor he/she worked for.
- The person should have worked as an assistance helper for at least two years under a workemen working for a supervisor.
- The person should successfully complete a course designed for electrical wireman trade or electrician trade recognised by NCVT training institute.
- For Lineman MV Permit
- Should have a learner lineman MV Permit trained in all MV works with at least two years of experience under a Supervisor. The experience certificate should be signed by a contractor or the supervisor stating the work you have done
- Should have worked as an assistance helper for at least three years under an Electrical Engineer of Odisha.
- Should have completed the ITI couse for electrician trade from a recognised institute accredited by NCVT.
- Should have completed the ITI couse for wireman trade from a recognised institute accredited by NCVT.
- For Workman HT Permit
- Should have a learner Workman HT License and have a training experience in HT works for a minimum of two years under a supervisor with a competency certificate. The experince certificate should be signed by supervisor or a contractor.
- Should have workman HT permit working for a lineman with at least two years of experience under an electrical engineer of the state. The experience certificate is given by the higher technical authority.
- Should have an ITI in electricians trade employed by OPTCL and successfully completed one year training in OPTCL training center.
- For Workman EHT Permit
- Should have an ITI electrician trade and a workman EHT learning permit with EHT works experience under a supervisor for atleast three years.
- Should have learner workman EHT permit employed by OPTCL and successfully completed one year training in OPTCL training center. Should also have experience of five years in EHT works under a supervisor.
- Should have an ITI in electricians trade employed by OPTCL, with an workamn EHT permit, successfully completed two years.
What is the Age Requirement?
- The minimum age should be 20 years.
- What documents are required?
- Good Conduct and Educational qualification Certificate
- Experience and technical certificate as required based on the category you apply for.
- Date of Birth certificate
- Copy of Aadhar Card
- Recent passport photographs
- Digital Signature
- In the Google browser, type elbo odisha and click on the link: http://www.eicelectricityodisha.nic.in/elbo/Home.aspx
- Now, click on Home and then click on Online Services present in the right top corner.
- Now, click on the service link of the service you wish to apply to.
- Next,click on “Register yourself” to create a login username and password.
- Type a valid email ID and set a password. An OTP will be sent for verification.
- Now, click on the service tab and select the service you wish, and login with the newly created loginID
- Fill in the application form and upload all the documents as required.
- After successful submission, you will get an acknowledgement slip. Keep that for future reference.
- You will be called for document verification within 7 days that is informed through an SMS.
- After the chairman of ELBO approves, an SMS and email will be sent to the applicant for depositing fees within 7 days from the date of approval for the issue of the permit.
- You can pay the fees by clicking on Track Application Status.
- You can also choose how many years you want to have the permit. ( minimum 1 year to a maximum of 5 years)
- Once done, you will get an SMS stating that you need to download your permit from the Track Application Staus > Output Certificate.
Renewal of the License
- After the time period for which you have taken the license, you should get it renewed. The license can be renewed for a minimum of 1 year to a maximum of 5 years.
Address for Correspondence
The address is
Unit-5, Power House Square
You can get to know all the other contact details by visiting the website for ELBO > Contact Us.